Monday, September 21, 2015

The MamaBear Workshop

Heart of the Sewing Room: The Cutting Table

Into the Fray

So I know there are some curious people out there wondering how all this sewing magic happens... (okay so maybe not, but I'm going to share anyway). After we sold our large farm we traded a lot of land and a small house for a larger house on a smaller bit of land. 
Stock shelves and sewing centers
Our new home has 4 bedrooms, one of which is dedicated to my MamaBear Workshop. 

So I've finally come to peace with the mess. I officially "clean house" about twice a year, going through items that didn't make the cut and selling off or donating them, washing the carpets, reorganizing, etc. The rest of the time I maintain a bare minimum of decluttering to allow me to fill orders and complete projects.

Oh sure, I've seen (and drooled over) those "sewing rooms" posted by other hobbyists - they are cute, pretty, and seem to me to never be used. My room is a workhorse that serves one function: to complete and ship out about 3,000 orders a year!

Fabric in Totes
Two Homemade Fabric Racks Dominate the Space
It wasn't long after moving to our new home that I realized my work had outgrown my space, and so I also had a garage built about 50 yards from the house which serves as my primary fabric warehouse. There are shelves on the walls for fabric in totes and small bolts as well as 4 racks for rolls of fabric. Needless to say it doesn't have much room for actual "garagy stuff" in there such as my tools, which stay crammed in a corner until I have to dig them out and make use of them.



In these two admittedly cluttered and stuffed spaces is where all the magic takes place - from designing and testing prototype patterns, picking through fabrics to meet custom requests, cutting, sewing, and stocking all my products, and packaging and shipping them to their new homes.
I thought you all might like to see some of that process (and mess) here. Just be forewarned: it takes a little chaos for great things to happen. :)



Orders all packaged and ready for their new homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment